BENEFIT FROM THE PAST!
Yoga is a beautiful journey of the unification of our soul “Aatma” with “Parmatma”. Yoga helps to take our mind into the present moment, as it focuses on bringing harmony between our mind and body. It not only focuses on asanas and meditation, there is a more behind our knowledge, more minute and liberated branch of yoga: Yoga Mudra Vigyan or the science of yoga mudra.
Yoga mudra is a hand gesture that helps to restore our imbalanced mind and soul, promoting calmness and relaxation. By practicing the mudars on a regular basis, a connection can be developed with our brain and it also directs the flow of energy within you. This religious ceremony has been followed by the Hindus and Buddhist traditions.
SIGNIFICANCE OF YOGA MUDRAS:
Mudra in Sanskrit is known as a “Seal”, “Mark”, “Gesture”. Mudra is a type of yoga, which basically involves the use of hands, but in some, it is also involved the whole body.
AGNI, JAAL, BHUMI, VAYU, AKASHA are the five elements our body is made up of. Any imbalance in these elements can create mental and physical stress. Thus, we should perform yoga mudra daily to maintain the balance between these elements.
Yoga mudra helps to cure diseases and makes us healthy if perform regularly. Yoga mudras are used extensively in dances, meditation etc. Yoga mudras are symbolized as energy by every God and Goddess in India. There are over 399 types of yoga mudras and each of them has different benefits for our body and mind.
BENEFITS OF YOGA MUDRAS:
Performing mudras help our mind and body to be positive, fit and active. Yoga mudras are good to heal our emotion and help mediates our mind. Benefits of yoga mudras are more when it is performed early in the morning because our mind is fresh and hungry for knowledge at that point of time, which allows a direct flow of positive energy into our body.
TYPE OF YOGA MUDRAS:
There are about 399 types of yoga mudras but the following are the best yoga mudras that are well-liked and desired from the prehistoric era:
- Chin Mudra Yoga
- Abhaya Mudra
- Adi Mudra
- Dhyana Mudra
- Apana Mudra Yoga
- Agni Mudra
- Vayu Mudra
- Akash Mudra
- Prithvi Mudra Pose
- Jal Mudra pose
- Apana Vayu Mudra
- Prana Mudra
- Matangi Yoga Mudra
- Bhramara Mudra Yoga
- Brahma Mudra
- Matsya Mudra
- Bhujangini Mudra Yoga
- Simha Mudra
- Kaki Mudra Yoga
- Khechari Mudra
- Jalandhara Bandha Mudra
CHIN MUDRA YOGA – The Gesture of Conscience:
- Gently tuck the tip of the index under the tip of the thumb, keeping rest of the three fingers lightly extended on the top of your thighs.
- Relax your hands on the top of the thighs with the palms facing upwards.
- Chin mudra should be performed daily for 10-15 minutes to get the benefits.
- Brightens the overall mood as it gives us relaxation from tension and anger.
- This yoga mudra helps to cure insomnia and excess sleep both.
- This yoga mudra helps us to connect to our inner soul.
- This yoga mudra helps to sharpen our brain and increases our grabbing power.]
- This yoga mudra, when is performed with our palms facing downward then it is known as Gyan Mudra- (Gesture of Knowledge).
ABHAYA MUDRA – The Gesture of Fearlessness:
Abhaya mudra was been performed by Lord Buddha as said by historians.
- Raise your right hand up towards your shoulder height,
- Now bend your arm with palm open facing outward and fingers in a vertical position.
- Rest the other hand with an open palm on your lap.
- The feeling of anxiety or fearfulness can be removed by practicing this mudra daily.
- This mudra helps to find a deep sense of peace within oneself.
ADI MUDRA– First gesture:
Adi mudra is believed to be the first position of a newborns babies.
- Join all the four fingers and thumb to create a fist.
- Place your thumb inside of the palm in such a way that it touches the little finger and face your palm downward.
Inhale and exhale long and deep while doing this yoga.
- This yoga mudra increases the capacity of the lungs and helps the vital organs to work effectively.
- This yoga mudra helps to increases the activeness of our mind.
- This yoga mudra helps to calm our nervous system.
DHYANA MUDRA– Gesture of Meditation:
- Dhyana mudra was been followed by Hindu,
- Buddhist, Jain as it has been found in their iconography and represents illumination over illusion.
- This yoga mudra is performed while sitting in a
- Comfortable position
- Rest your hands over the legs and the right hand
- Should be over the left hand.
- The palm should be facing upwards and should be extended.
- This yoga mudra helps in normalizing the blood pressure.
- Problems like bad dreams, loss of memory, depression, and anxiety can be removed by practicing it daily.
- This mudra helps our mind to be in peace and tranquility.
APANA MUDRA POSE- Gesture of the life air.
This yoga mudra is also known as the “mudra of digestion”.
- Keep the tip of middle finger joined to the tip of the thumb and other fingers facing straight.
- This yoga mudra should be executed with both the hands.
- This yoga mudra helps in the reproduction of our body.
- This yoga mudra helps in energizing our body and governs all form of elimination.
AGNI MUDRA– Gesture of fire:
Agni mudra is also well known as “Surya Mudra”.
- Bend the ring finger in such a way that it touches the thumb and then press the thumb on the second phalanx keeping rest of the fingers straight.
- Palm should face in the upward direction and this yoga mudra should be performed with both the hands.
- This yoga mudra helps in curing digestion problems.
- This yoga mudra helps in getting the perfect body shape as it helps in weight loss.
- It is beneficial for diabetics and cholesterol person.
VAYU MUDRA- Gesture of air:
- Bend the index finger at the base of the thumb and then press the thumb on the second phalanx, keeping all the other fingers straight.
- The palm should face upward direction and it should be performed with both the hands.
This yoga mudra maintains the balance of air elements within our body.
AKASH MUDRA- Gesture of the space:
- Form a circle by joining the thumb and the middle finger, keeping rest other fingers straight.
- This yoga mudra should be done by both hands and palms should face upward.
- This yoga mudra balances the space elements within our body.
- It helps our body in achieving the other energies inside our body.
PRITHVI MUDRA POSE- Gesture of the earth:
- Make a circle by joining the thumb and ring finger keeping all the other fingers straight.
- The yoga mudra should be performed using both the hand and palms should face straight.
- This yoga mudra helps in balancing the earth elements within oneself.
- It helps in energizing our body by recharging the root chakra and centralizes our soul.
- This mudra helps the dizzy people.
JAL MUDRA- Gesture of the water:
- Form a circle by joining the thumb and the little finger, keeping other fingers straight.
- This yoga involves both the hands and the palms should face upward.
- This yoga mudra helps to maintain the balance of water elements within our body.
- This yoga mudra removes the problem of dryness and kidney disorder problem by restoring fluid balance.
APANA VAYU MUDRA– Gesture of the heart:
- The tip of the thumb, middle and ring finger should be joined, keeping forefinger touching the base of the thumb and the little finger straight.
- The mudra should be performed with both the hand and palms facing upward.
- This yoga mudra helps in maintaining the heart and blood pressure.
- This yoga mudra helps to reduce the content of gas in our yoga.
PRANA MUDRA-Gesture of vital air:
- First, you need to sit in a comfortable position focusing on the breathing system.
- Touch the tip of little finger and ring finger, keeping rest of the finger straight
- Both the hands and palms should be facing upward.
- This yoga mudra is a source of energy and symbolizes force in our life.
- This yoga mudra makes us active and healthy.
- This yoga mudra rejuvenates and strengthens our body.
- It helps to enhance our immunity power.
MATANGI YOGA MUDRA-Gesture of the goddess Matangi:
- First, join your hands at your stomach height, palms should be touching each other and the fingers should be facing upward.
- Joined all the finger with each other expect the middle fingers, that will remain straight and interlinked.
This yoga mudra helps to dynamize our body and soul developing harmony.
BHRAMARA MUDRA YOGA-Gesture of bee
- First, sit straight keeping your eyes closed and you can keep a smile on our face but this won’t assist your performance.
- Keep your index finger on your ears in such a way that your ear is in the portion of your cheek and ear.
- Now put the index finger on the cartilage and gently put some pressure. Keep the pressure on that portion and take proper and full breaths.
- This yoga mudra acts as the best anger management as it helps us to relieve from tension and also deal with anger.
- It is one of the most effective yoga mudra suitable for every gender and every age.
SURYA CHANDRA MUDRA:
This gesture is also known as the gesture of the sun and the moon.
- First, sit down on the floor and breathe deeply
- Fold both your on punching position and join the two hands, so that the finger faces the ceiling.
- Now close your eyes and take some heavy breathes.
- This yoga mudra helps to calm our mind and reduce stress level.
- This yoga mudra can be performed anywhere and anytime.
- A problem like nausea or stomach problems and sleepiness can be removed by practicing this mudra daily.
MATSYA MUDRA-Gesture of fish:
- Make yourself comfortable by sitting on a mat and remove all kind of tension. This will assist you in completing the posture.
- Place the fingers together one over another, then stack the right hand together and extend the thumbs.
- Now, slowly hold your hands in front of your abdomen.
- A problem like tension and joint problems will be cured by practicing this yoga mudra.
- This yoga is very good for health and very simple to do.
BHUJANGINI MUDRA YOGA-Gesture of Cobra:
- Raise your face upward and neck extended a little forward, take air through the mouth like drinking water and air should go to the abdominal area but lips should be like crow’s beak.
- Keep your trunk back straight and release air.
- Practice this daily for at least 5-10 minutes.
- This yoga mudra is very beneficial for stomach and digestion problems.
- Don’t practice this yoga mudra in winters as it can have some side effects.
SIMHA MUDRA– Gesture of lion:
Make yourself comfortable by sitting on the floor
- Now keep your hands on the thighs, take your tongue out and take deep breaths through your mouth.
- This yoga mudra helps to calm our mind and provide us with relaxation.
- It helps us to stay healthy.
KAKI MUDRA-Gesture of crow:
- Firstly, block your nostrils using your thumb fingers, leave your eyes opening while performing.
- Now, when your lungs are full due to breathing then store the breath inside by closing your mouth.
- Then bend your head in such a manner that it touches the chin and hold that position for sometimes.
- Breathing problems can easily be cured by practicing this mudra daily.
- This yoga mudra helps to calm our mind and relax our body.
- It strengthens the muscles and make your limbs comfortable.
KHECHARI MUDRA-Gesture of movement in space:
- Generally, roll the tongue to touch the soft palate.
- Place the palms on the thighs, it’ll assist in doing the yoga properly.
- Breathing problem can be easily cured by practicing this yoga on a regular basis.
JALANDHARA BANDHA MUDRA-High contraction:
- Sit in Sukhasana yoga, keeping your knees touch to ground and palms on knees
- Take a deep breath and then lock our arms by pressing knees with palms, don’t exhale.
- Stay in this position as long as possible, after that release your arms and breathe out.
- This yoga mudra helps to increase concentration power.
- It reduces the body pain and regulates metabolism.
HOW YOGA MUDRA WORK?
Based on research and teaching it has been found out that yoga mudra works in very effective from within oneself. It guides the flow of energy within our mind and body by maintaining the balance of five elements (air, earth, fire, water, space) in our body. Our thumb activates fire energy, our pointer finger activates air, our middle finger activate space, our ring finger activates earth energy and our little finger activates water energy. Yoga mudra helps in energizing our body and helps in staying healthy and active. Yoga mudras help to cure all the health-related problems by one way or another if it is practiced on a regular basis.
YOGA MUDRA BENEFITS IN CURING ALIMENTS:
- Chin Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure insomnia.
- Abhaya Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to calm our mind.
- Adi Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure breathing related problems
- Dhyana Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure depression and anxiety related problems.
- Apana Mudra- This yoga mudra helps in energizing our body
- Agni Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure of acidity and indigestion.
- Vayu Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure chest pain.
- Akash Mudra- This mudra helps in energizing our body.
- Prithvi Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to improves blood circulation and strengthen bone.
- Jal Mudra- this yoga mudra helps to cure kidney disorder.
- Apana Vayu Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure heart and blood pressure related problems.
- Prana Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to enhance the immunity system.
- Matangi Yoga Mudra- This yoga mudra help us to be active and fit.
- Bhramara Mudra Yoga- This yoga mudra helps to cure hypertension.
- Surya Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to reduce stress level.
- Matsya Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure hypertension.
- Bhujangini Mudra Yoga- This yoga mudra helps to cure stomach related problems.
- Simha Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to increase concentration power.
- Kaki Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to cure breathing issue and calm our mind.
- Khechari Mudra- This mudra helps to increase nasal activity.
- Jalandhara Bandha Mudra- This yoga mudra helps to regulate metabolism.
Within the limitation of my knowledge, I would conclude that performing yoga is very beneficial for everyone health. A good habit can be developed by performing yoga daily as it’s don’t have only one or two benefits but has a bucket full of benefits to our mind, body, and health. Each one of us should go to yoga classes or should hire a trainer to practice yoga mudras daily for a better tomorrow.
A person suffering from any kind of diseases should perform yoga daily, as a study says that by practicing yoga mudras daily for 26 weeks help to cure you of any kind of pain or diseases. Yoga mudra also helps to improve our blood pressure. Problems like anxiety and depression can easily be cured by practicing yoga mudra. It helps to improve our attitude towards life by giving a positive impact on our lives. It increases the life force or the capacity of a human being. Now, I guess after knowing the benefits of yoga mudra you all are going to perform from today itself, aren’t you?