Do you know the hidden benefits of aromatherapy? Due to stressful demands at professional and personal life, it is hard for people to relax or sleep calmly. Many of you have been popping sleeping pills, but it has many side effects to the body. Aromatherapy is one of the natural ways to stimulate relaxation and sleep, without any side effects.
The name can be misleading for some people, but it’s more than smelling aromas. There are several facts that are associated with the way aromatherapy helps improve your health.
How does Aromatherapy work?
Most of the people believe there are some hidden benefits of aromatherapy. After essential oils are applied to the body, they penetrate the skin via hair follicles and sweat glands. These are absorbed into the body fluids, where they kill the bacteria and viruses, but stimulate the body’s immune system, and strengthen resistance to further attacks. Some essential oils are helpful in increasing the blood circulation and efficiently eliminate toxins from the body. They help in promoting the cell growth and encourage the body’s natural ability to heal itself. Each essential oil has its own benefits and properties, which makes it unique and hence, used for this therapy.
When the aromas of the essential oils are inhaled, the lungs start to oxygenate the blood, which means the molecules of essential oils, are absorbed into the bloodstream. This form of absorption is efficient when the oils are smelled from tissue, diffusing them in a vaporizer, or adding them to the bath water. They send a direct signal to the limbic system in the brain, which is the center for emotions, memory and sexual arousal.
Massage is the best way to enjoy aromatherapy because you not only get the benefits of essential oils but also enjoy the wonderful benefits of massage therapy. If you are a trained masseur and wants to open your own clinic, then opt for the best equipment and essential oils. Massages are relaxing, and a person indulging in massage needs relaxation; so you should always opt for good quality equipment. It’s not necessary to buy new equipment; a person can opt for things from sales like portable massage tables for sale. But make sure these are comfortable and have good quality.
The hidden benefits of aromatherapy / Benefits of Aromatherapy’s essential oils:
- Releases stress and anxiety
- Helpful in headaches and migraines
- Cures insomnia
- Relieves chronic or acute pain relief
- Helpful in arthritis and rheumatism
- Helpful during pregnancy and childbirth
- Reduce the inflammation
- Enhances the immunity
- Relieves the muscle spasms
- Soothes and relaxes the nervous system
- Aids in sprains, strains and repetitive movement injuries.
Aromatherapy massage has a general approach to the message and may include some principles, which need to be followed religiously for a better effect. Selection of oils used during the massage is of prime importance, as they are for therapeutic effect and not for fragrance.
Various techniques or strokes used are:
- Effleurage: It is the main principal stroke to warm up the muscles and to prepare the soft tissue for deeper treatment. This movement is done with the flat palm of one or both hands by applying steady pressure.
- Fanning: This motion is used to manipulate the stress and tension away from the chest, back, legs and arms.
- Feathering: This stroke is extremely light and is barely perceivable by the person receiving the massage, but have a soothing effect.
- Petrissage: Through this, specific muscle groups are worked where tissues are easily grasped and can be performed superficially. Deep petrissage is helpful in promoting circulation and loosen the muscle tightness.
- Friction and pressure: Friction is used for increasing the circulation around the joints, and in sports massage, it is referred as cross-fiber stroking.
- Vibrating: Using this stroke, the masseur uses his muscles to strike the body lightly with finger tips or jostling the muscles. The masseur places his/ her hands on the person’s body and shakes them while moving along the muscles.
- Tapotement: This technique is performed on the broad areas of the body, such as back, using the alternate drumming movements.
- Pummeling: Form a loose fist, and strike the body with an outer edge of the hand.
- Hacking: with the outer edge of the hand, rapid chopping motions are performed; fingers are slightly separated and are mostly used on the fleshy areas like upper shoulders or legs.
- Cupping: The hands are cupped and the body is struck with the fingertips and heels of the palms.
The bottom line is…
These techniques can be combined with massage therapy, and you can get therapeutic benefits along with health and beauty benefits of massage. While getting the massage or aromatherapy, the clinic should have essential equipment like massage tables, towels, and essential oils; the clinic should be hygienic and the therapists should have proper certification. Aromatherapy can lift depression and have to revitalize effect on the skin and body.